Some plans and contents of the particular activities in ten years
Professional and scientific activities
To continue to realize the project Supporting Vietnamese Culture for Sustainable Development in 2005-2009 signed between the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology and the Swedish partners.
In the near future, the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology must continue to promote the achievements, to lead to the new objectives, to comprehensively develop all aspects and allInstitute's scientific activities in future.
To organize the collection, classify, evaluate, and summarize the available archived documentations of the folk music and traditional performing arts of Vietnam.
To organize the collection, research, restore, and teach the Ca tru art in 17 provinces having the tradition of Ca trï activities.
To complete the National File on Ca tru singing of the Viet people which was submitted to the UNESCO for a recognition as the Orally-transmitted and intangible cultural heritage masterpiece of humanity.
To step by step complete the content on Databank of Folk Music and Traditional Performing Arts of Vietnam, in order to soon satisfy the demand of society's exploit and usage.
To complete the project entitled Composition structure of some kinds of folksong in the Red River Delta. This is the first theory project researching on the traditional music of the ViÖtpeople in the Red River Delta. This project, a ministerial-leveled subject realized between2005-2007, will be a great complement for the theory on traditional folk music of Vietnamese people.
To increase the association of the collection and research on the folk music and traditional performing arts of Vietnam with the neighboring countries such as China, Laos, Cambodia, etc.
The Institute will change the Bulletin into the Magazine of Music Research.
To publish the books on Vietnamese music and the world music: Repertoires of some folk-song genres of the red river delta; Folksong structures of the red river delta; Vietnamese music, Composers-Compositions; The compositions of Vietnamese symphony and chamber music; Studies on Vietnamese stage music; Music issues in the Vietnamese movies; Musical terminology; Musical dictionary, etc.
To publish the suitable and necessary books in order to timely serve the demand of musical objects all over society.
The Institute has collected the traditional folk music all over Vietnam in order to well preserve and propagate the intangible cultural heritage of fifty-four Vietnamese minorities. Up to now, more than fifty CDs, VCDs, and DVDs have been published. In the coming times, the Institute will continue to publish many more new high-quality folk music and performing art programs.
Education and training
To propose the State, the Ministry of Culture and Information, the Ministry of Education and Training for the permission that the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology – Hanoi National Conservatory of Music opens the Department of Postgraduate majoring on Musicology and Ethnomusicology. This will be implemented in parallel with the building, expansion, and completion of the VIM organization structure, in order to contribute to the maintenance, promotion, and development suitable to the common demand of Vietnamese music in the new situation.
Organization structure and other fields
To expand and complete the new organization structure of the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology.
To propose the tasks, functions, and the content of activity suitable to the Divisions, Boards, and Centers in the VIM's new structure and suitable to the present and future.
To complete the human resources and the scientists who will be responsible for each working content.
To expand the researching fields, to closely cooperate between the theory research and the application research which is appropriate to the social life's practical demand in each concrete period.
To consolidate and build the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology in order that they can reach a position in the region and the world.
To construct the system of self-contained computing technology in order to serve all Institute’s activities in terms of the internal and foreign affairs, profession and finance, etc.
In order to express the gratitude, in order to deserve the consideration, belief and the investment of new infrastructure and the modern equipments provided by the Party, State, the people and the Ministry of Culture and Information, the leaders, staffs, and all collaborators of the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology are aware that this is a great honor, a big encouragement, and a new heavy and glorious responsibility as well. This responsibility demands the Institute exert the best; the Institute’s leaders and staffs must incessantly improve their profession, improve the quality in the new period, innovate the way of working suitable to the demand and the criteria of scientific working in the development period of knowledge economy, in order that the Institute meets the demand of the country and people more and more in the 21st century.
Draft on the Organization Structure of the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology in the future
In the new location of the Vietnamese Institute for Musicology (My Dinh), there will be nineteen Divisions, four Boards, and nine Centers as follows:
1. Division of Collection – Fieldwork
2. Division of Research on the Traditional Music of Vietnamese Minorities
3. Division of Research on the music of India and South Asia
4. Division of Research on the music of China and Northeast Asia
5. Division of Research on the music of Southeast Asia
6. Division of Research on the folk music of other continents
7. Division of Research on the Western music
8. Division of Research on the Jazz music and other entertainment music such as Pop, Rock, Rap, Hip-hop, etc
9. Showroom of Vietnamese traditional musical instruments
10. Division of Scientific Information, Music and Life
11. Division of Publication
12. Division of Documentation
14. Audio studio
15. Video studio
16. Databank of Folk Music and Traditional Performing Arts of Vietnam
17. Division of Administration and Management
18. Division of Planning and Finance
19. Division of Foreign Affairs
1. The Board on Experiment Research of Music and Life
2. The Board on Criticism and Approaches of Music Life
3. The Board on Restoration and Propagation of Folk Music of Vietnamese Minorities
4. The Board on Performance Organization of Folk Music and Performing Arts of Vietnamese minorities
1. Center for the Propagation – Popularization of Folk Music and Performing Arts of Vietnamese Minorities
2. Center for the Production of Audio and Video Documentation
3. Center for the Research of Music Education
4. Center of Music Technology
5. Center for the Research on Music Psychology
6. Center for the Research on Music Aesthetics
7. Center for the Postgraduate Training of Traditional Music
8. Center for the Research and Production of Traditional Instruments
9. Center for Electronic Information
The address of Vietnamese institute for Musicology
Address: CC2 - My Dinh urban area, Tu Liem, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: (84-4) 7854880 - 7854881
Fax: (84-4) 7854881; 8434953